Ricardo Blackman’s Caribbean Headlines News 08/08

By Ricardo Blackman | CDN Barbados

Dateline Bridgetown, BARBADOS:

Police are continuing their investigations into a shooting incident at Spring Garden, St. Michael, during the climax of Crop Over Festival “Kadooment” celebrations, which left one man dead and several others injured.  A six year old child, who was grazed by a bullet, was among the injured. In a statement following the incident, Dale Marshall QC, Opposition Barbados Labour Party (BLP) Shadow Attorney-General, said : “the whole of Barbados was dealt another blow to our collective souls and minds.” “This is not the Barbadian way.nor is it how we behave.  We know that but we want those of you visiting us to know that this is a total aberration.”

Dateline Port of Spain, TRINIDAD:

An International Monetary Fund (IMF) staff team visited Trinidad and Tobago from July 20 to August 2, 2017, to conduct the Annual Article 1V consultation.  At the end of the visit, team leader Elie Canelli issued a statement which said in part that Trinidad and Tobago continues to face economic challenges stemming primarily from the sharp declines in global energy prices since 2014, combined with a fall in national gas and oil production in recent years.

Dateline Kingston, JAMAICA:

Prime Minister Andrew Holness says Jamaica has come a far way in its 55 years of political independence.  In his message to mark Independence Day 2017, Prime Minister Holness said Jamaica has overcome several challenges despite the odds.  “We are a tough, courageous, purposeful and determined people.  There are some challenges but I have absolutely no doubt that we can successfully defeat them” Holness said.

Dateline George Town, CAYMAN ISLANDS:

The Speaker of the Cayman Islands Legislative Assembly will not face any charges following accusations that he groped a waitress in a Florida casino last month.  McKeeva Bush had been arrested after the woman alleged that the veteran politician had touched her inappropriately while she was serving at the casino in Coconut Creek, Boward County.
Dateline Basseterre, ST. KITTS:

On July 1st, A Chinese national with St. Kitts and Nevis citizenship and passport, who was wanted by Interpol, arrived in St. Kitts via the RL Bradshaw International Airport.  The man’s arrival made local, regional and international news after Antigua media had reported his arrival in that country from Canada en route to St. Kitts, despite the existence of an Interpol Red Flag notice.  They said he was stopped and questioned but allowed to travel on to St. Kitts.  The Chinese national, wanted for allegedly embezzling millions of dollars in his home country, was questioned by authorities on arrival in St. Kitts, but was not detained.  At a Press Conference, Prime Minister and Minister of National Security, Timothy Harris, blasted the former administration for “knowing and allowing” wanted Chinese national Ren Baio to enter St. Kitts.  Baio, a St. Kitts and Nevis economic citizen, was the subject of much media attention for weeks before his detention by local authorities in May, and subsequent departure to China where he surrendered to Police less than two weeks ago.  WINN FM questioned Dr. Harris about the second wanted Chinese being allowed to enter the Federation under Team Unity watch and asked what the difference was between that case and Baio being allowed entry into St. Kitts.  The Prime Minister denied being aware of the well-publicized incident.